Wednesday, November 11, 2015

There's Nothing Happy About Veteran's Day

Warning: The following is a very raw very personal view of my experience as a Veteran. it is not meant to offend anyone.

The First thing I would like to say is thank you to everyone who has supported me those who have held my hand, loved me missed me through six years of Active Duty Service. I love you and appreciate you more than you can ever imagine.


 This is my first year celebrating Veterans day as an actual veteran and over the course of the day several well meaning and sweet people reached out to me to wish me a "Happy Veteran's Day" this particular saying from all of the thanks I got was particularly painful...because I can't seem to wrap my head around being happy as a Veteran quite yet... I get the sentiment behind them saying this and I truly love each and everyone but this transition has been hard... being a veteran is hard and no one tells you that when you are enlisting in the military... We spend months prepping for all kinds of attacks but no one talks about the struggles you will find when the fighting is over and it is just you in the mirror with no uniform... trying to hold yourself together mentally and even physically while fighting for benefits you were promised but haven't received.

So no today is not a "Happy" Veteran's Day

It can't be while unemployed 573,000 of my brothers and sisters are employed, and 24, 837 are homeless. And thousands more remain deadlocked in a crippled Veterans Administration System that fails them unable to get medicine or insurance for their families and selves.

So what do these numbers have to do with me? Why am I so upset about them? Why can't I just eat my bloomin' onion and move on... probably because for the first time I really understand what it means to be a Veteran in America...

-  I received my DD214 on August 18th and went straight to my Veterans Affairs office. I had already applied for benefits as I struggle with PTSD, anxiety and a few other problems related to my military service. When I asked him why I hadn't had any doctors appointments yet to check my disability claim he told me that I was missing paperwork and that I needed to fill that out before they could process my claim.

- I sat in his office filling out an extra piece of paper to be sent to te VA so that I could see a doctor to have my claims evaluated.... (it is now November 11 and I still have not seen a doctor I did however receive a letter apologizing for the delay in processing my claim)

- In the paperwork I had to fill out was a specific sheet used to describe an event that happened to me while I was in the military, on this piece of paper that I was already crying while filling out it has the audacity to ask me if there is anyone who can prove that the event happened to me,,,,  as a woman it was the most insulting question I ever could have read... luckily my VA rep was very kind and that helped me to calm down.

- The doctor visits I have not gotten yet are to help with PTSD my doctor before I left gave me a 90 day supply in hopes that the VA would get me in as soon as possible  to continue my care. which means on November 16 I will run out of medicine.

 -Another lady referred me to try to get "cheap healthcare" by extending my Military Tricare out under the Continued Healthcare Benefit Program... when I called to get a quote they told me it would be 2,980 for three months and that three months needed to be paid up front. There was no way that I could afford that. I paid for urgent care out of pocket for my son to be seen because it was a cheaper option. (Thank goodness for open enrollment on Obama Care though because that is going to help me and my son out)\

- The day after I got out of the Navy a fellow veteran and good friend of mine was found dead from an overdose of pain killers.... The same friend who had told me he needed help prior to leaving the military and when we went to get him help he was told that if he went back to Rehab the military would deny his Benefits and he would have nothing when he left the Navy... Sadly now his family is let with nothing but his memory (Name intentionally left out due to his family wanting to keep private please DO NOT put his name in the comments)

This is just the first sixty days.... In this little bit of time I have been forced to relive a horrible experience on paper and then told to find evidence that I was raped three years ago, been overcharged for health insurance, am running out of medicine for a legitimate diagnosed medical condition confirmed by military doctors because their system is currently backed up... And lost a friend who meant the world to me because he was afraid of losing benefits. This is what being a veteran looks like... real people trying to make it back to where we once were in the midst of a chaotic system and countless let downs. It is hard, many days that are not Veterans Day are thankless.

But....
 it is not hopeless

As I walked outside tonight to get the mail I saw this...
Reminding me about this project held by Walmart Home Depot and Lowe's

.

It reminded me that it may not be Happy today for many veterans but the individuals who still care the corporations willing to hire us because they believe we still have something to offer... you the individual are our hope.

So it may not be a Happy Veterans Day but it is a better Veterans Day.... because at least for today I can realize that while the government may let us down there are still Americans who care.  It's not easy being a veteran but thank you America for the hope that it can get better!

 

2 comments:

  1. Please know that you are loved & cared about! You are strong, beautiful, & better hold your head up high knowing that.
    You gave so much for this country & hopefully one day it will give back!
    Try to remeber that being in the Navy you received the most beautiful gift, RUSSELL! You are an awesome mom! Just put your mind in to loving him, loving your job, & going to college. Stay positive & it will get better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat it's really not so bad but it is a bit of a culture shock... I just don't think regular people are aware of the state of emergency the Veterans are facing day to day

      Delete