Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Toddler Tripping Part 2 Sleepy Mommy Hyper Baby

Hello Everyone,
   Sorry I've been missing posts it's been very busy and I haven't had a lot of time to sit own and post. However, toddler Tuesday is my families favorite segment thus far an I don't want to let them down. Plus I want to document the trip for myself as well. So for everyone coming for the advice section of toddler Tuesday you are probably want to scroll all the way to the end of this weeks post.

      When I left off last week Russell and I had just visited the petroglyph site in Arizona. Now I must explain that I have a love affair with Arizona. I have already been to the grand canyon twice, the painted desert and now the petroglyph site. I always seem to find something new and interesting in that state, and it can be hard to pull me away. Knowing this about myself I pre-planned and set up a reservation in Roswell, New Mexico to make sure that I did not get side tracked. So I continued to drive into the night with Russell asleep in the back of the car. I had to pull over for gas when I realized that there was no way I was going to make it by midnight, I decided to call the hotel to let them know. When I called the man at the front desk of the budget inn told me he didn't see a reservation for me. As it turns out I had accidentally booked for the wrong day. I was upset but he fixed the reservation and told me not to worry about anything that he would see us whenever we arrived. (This was the first experience I had with the five men that I have deemed Hotel Angels)

I drove until about two in the morning with Russell comfortably asleep in the back. Personally my favorite thing to do to keep myself awake with Russell in the back asleep is to get out Pandora and listen to the Comedy station. this keeps me awake and in high spirits I did this until about 60 miles outside of Roswell, New Mexico when my signal stopped working (I won't blast a specific cell phone company, but it rhymes with print) I happened upon probably the strangest radio station I have ever listened to it was on the Roswell local channel and they were talking about aliens and all kinds of other worldly stuff. It was interesting, and kept me awake because I was terrified extraterrestrials were coming to abduct us at any moment (they didn't). I finally arrived at my hotel at two in the morning. The man got me my key very quickly and reminded me about the complimentary breakfast. And even gave me information on the Roswell sites and what I would find in town. For it being two in the morning I was really impressed with his Customer service and the care he showed toward my toddler and me. (Did I mention that Russell was now fully awake and running around the hotel lobby) I got in the hotel not knowing what to expect (It was a fifty dollar hotel deal, so I wasn't expecting much, but the room was amazing flat screen tv, air conditioning huge bathroom space and it looked like paradise for a tired mommy!

I was so happy... I got Russell ready for bed in record time placed him in his pack and play slid into my jammies turned off all the lights but the closet light and lad down....  And that's when It started... Mommy.... Elmo Where are you.... I groaned a little please go to sleep, but no luck he stood up in the pack and play and started wailing.  So what is an exhausted mom to do with only a few possible hours to get sleep.... I gave the child Elmo I plugged it in and let him watch it, and I let him crawl in the bed and sleep with me.... This is a picture of him in my hotel not sleeping, but if you are tired and only have a few short hours to sleep on the first night of a road trip you do whatever you can to get enough sleep to drive safely. For me this meant breaking a few of the set rules we have at the house (separate sleeping areas, no TV before bed and no sleeping to the TV) but being a more alert driver in the morning.

I talk very lightly and confidently about my driving for this trip but the truth is an exhausted driver is just as bad and can cause as much damage as a drunk driver. If you are following in my footsteps or just making your own please take my advice... If you are tired stop pull over, break some rules if you have to but sleep.

I slept until 9:30 the next morning and then packed everything up and took Russell to the complimentary breakfast.
****More advice here.**** If you are staying at hotels do as much raiding of the free breakfast as you can if they have to go cups grab and extra juice and milk for the toddler grab some bread and peanut butter and jelly to give the child as a snack later. Make sure you eat also because you'd be surprised how much money you can save just by grabbing four pieces of bread and a few packets of jelly.  After breakfast we got in the car to go take a look around the UFO capital of the world.

Advice from this Post is as follows When Road Tripping with a Toddler:

1. Always make sure you call the hotels you are booked at to ensure that they are aware you're coming.
2. Don't forget a toddler cot or a pack and play to make sleeping easier
3. Be lenient this is a new place for toddlers too it may be scary give a little allow a few rules to be broken especially if it is the difference between getting enough sleep or not
4. Stay at a Budget Inn if you can find one (I am not affiliated with the company at all I was just impressed by how amazing their service was all across the country)
5. Get as much from the complimentary Breakfast as you are allowed small amounts of bread and Jelly go along way and milk and juice is expensive at fast food restaurants so make sure you put extra in a to go cup.

As always thank you for reading my post next Tuesday I will continue the trip by sharing the truly fun things your toddler and you can enjoy together in Roswell, New Mexico!       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment